Monday, June 11, 2012

Cornelius' Archer

I had the cutest art encounter. Cornelius, the son of one of Eddie's Marine friends, was drawn to my, well drawings. We were at a soccer tournament for his sister, and normally content to play his DS, he took a previously nonexistent shining to me, and was my best friend for the weekend. He's just under 10 years old.

Eddie and I were collaborating on an upcoming project; per our normal routine, Eddie was designing and I was illustrating. This confused Cornelius. He wondered, "well, who does it belong to?" So, we explained to him that the idea was Eddie's, but the drawing was mine. After mulling it over for a few moments, his eyes got really large. 

"So, if I design something... will you draw it out?"

I couldn't resist. So, we set out, Eddie and I helped him to design his character. When he was done, I drew it out and inked it. Then I handed it back to him, saying that he got to color it. It was his own self-designed coloring page. I only got to snap quick photos of the sketch and my line-art before they were snatched up with enthusiasm. We had another adventure with my monsters, but that one needs to be scanned. 

It was adorable to watch Cornelius show his creation to all the other little boys and watch him explain: "well,  you see, this is my idea and concept, she illustrated it, but the idea is mine." Kids crack me up. :)  

Cornelius' Design


Side-by-side


Showing an in-progress picture to his sister, Maddie

2 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest thing that I have read so far in all the blogs I follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It was really inspiring and humbling to draw with him. :)

      Delete