Thursday, May 31, 2012

Painting Custom Ponies

I LOVE VINYL FIGURES. 

I think the combination of my childhood hobby of ceramic painting mixed with the creation of toys just makes vinyl figures irresistible to me. Also, I'm bound and determined to make an Okapi out of just about everything. Which reminds me, as soon as I move again and unpack my stuff, I'll post pictures of my first vinyl figure, which was a KidRobot "Raffy", that I made into an Okapi. 

On the note of Okapis, may I introduce you to Round-a-Bout, my "My Little Pony" original character/creation. Her "cutie mark" (the symbols that appears on the flank of all "My Little Ponies") is a Carousel. A cutie mark is a graphic representation of a pony's "special talent."  Round-a-bout has a carousel as her cutie mark; this is because she has realized that, while life has it's ups and downs, you've just got to keep your world turning. Also, as an artist, the carousel horses, each a masterpiece themselves, represent the joy that a piece of art can bring. (Carousels are an important theme, landmark, and symbol for me. They are truly one of my favorite things. )


I had an impromptu birthday party with my besties Kacey, Des, and Keri (The Prince Kitchen), and my boyfriend Eddie. I only have pictures of mine and Eddie's ponies because I took them home and did a mini-shoot. The girl's ponies came out just as spectacularly, and when they post photos, I will be sure to share.  Eddie's pony, the orange and blue one pictured here, does not have a name. His cutie mark represents Eddie's 3D modeling, as well as the inky splatters of his pen-name, INK Rabbit.  


Every time I get to work with my artist friends, I feel like projects just come out better. Each of us really brought a special expertise to the table. I'd especially like to thank Kacey for doing the wonderful styling on the hair.


The ponies were painted with a fun mixture of Martha Stewart's glitter/pearl/metallic/satin paints and normal craft acrylic. The hair was done with COPIC marker! A little tip for those of you that work with synthetic hair: Copic and Sharpie markers are both alcohol-based, and will color wig/pony/synthetic fibers! I've used it before to add beautiful highlights and streaks to wigs - it really takes a colored wig from flat to crazy-natural; hair has highlights! All you have to do is hold your hair over a piece of cardboard or paper and color over it with your markers. It's that easy.  


My Little Pony © Hasbro
Design © Katherine "MayugeSeishou" Stocking and Eddie "IR" Lopez



No comments:

Post a Comment